Thursday, August 23, 2012

How Did I get started?


I've been a Microsoft guy since DOS 5.  I've used every version of Windows since 3.1.  So, how did a Microsoft fan-boy get into Linux?  It's a long story.

When I went back to school (after a short 15 year break),  I took an operating systems class at WV State College. This was way back in the distant past(circa 2005.)  One of our tasks was to install the Fedora Core 4 operating system.  We must have installed that thing at least ten times.

Anyway, I was intrigued.  Linux was exotic and novel.  I guess it spoke to my inner geek.  But, I was a happy Windows user.

Using Linux to wipe computers
A few months later, I had a hard drive crash.  I had an old, spare hard drive with a whopping 2 gigabytes of storage, and just though Windows XP Pro would not fit.  I dusted off my Fedora Core 4 disk, and was up.

I will admit that this first experience with Linux was not at all pleasant.  I was a very seasoned computer user,  but everything I knew was suddenly obsolete.  Where were my drive letters?  How did I install programs?  Where did my Documents and Settings folder go?  I lasted maybe a month.  The final straw was trying to connect a local laser printer.  After I attempted, in vain, to configure the CUPS driver, I finally gave up.  I bought a large hard drive, and reinstalled Windows. 

Still, the siren song of Linux called to me.   I really enjoyed most other open source programs.  I used GCC in my C++ classes.  I fell into love with GIMP.  I even installed TuxPaint for my daughter.

Then I upgraded my computer.  It had a dual core, 64 bit processor, with 4 gig Ram.  But, good old Windows XP Pro was a 32 bit operating system.  That meant I couldn't use the hardware to its fullest advantage.  On top of that, 32 bit Windows can only access about 3 1/2 Gigs of RAM.

Since I plunked down over $100 for pro version of XP, I thought I might be able to upgrade to the 64 bit version for free.  Ha!  Microsoft give something away?  Not only would I have to spend another $100 for it, but most of my software wouldn't work on it.

So, I wondered, what would it be like computing at 64 bits?  On a lark, I downloaded the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 10.10.

Sure, it still took a bit to figure out where stuff went, but it was so fast and easy that I still haven't gone back.

I still use Windows every day, but I can now proudly state that I am a Linux user.

No comments:

Post a Comment